In the United States, 90-95% of the 30 million people with diabetes have type 2 diabetes (T2DM). Although the association between T2DM and cognitive dysfunction is not fully understood, we know T2DM increases the risk for cognitive dysfunction and the rate of cognitive decline in those with T2DM is double that for those without it. Much of the information about cognition and T2DM is of limited use to people actually living with T2DM who need effective strategies to maximize cognitive functioning. A key unanswered question is whether improved cognitive functioning results in improved diabetes self-management and glucose control? Our overall objective with the MAPSS-DM project is to determine the effects of a comprehensive cognitive rehabilitation intervention on biological, cognitive, and diabetes self-management outcomes.
To do that, we have developed a comprehensive cognitive training intervention for people with diabetes. If you are part of the study, here are a few things to expect:
- At the start of the study, a link to a group of surveys for the Diabetes and Cognitive Function study will be sent to the email you provided when you joined the project. You can see our YouTube video explaining it here.
- One of our research team members will meet with you to place a continuous glucose monitor (CGM) which will stay in place for 1 to 2 weeks.
- After the CGM is placed, a link to Brain Check (our online cognitive assessment tool) will be sent via email. Please complete these tests at your earliest convenience.
- When the CGM is returned to the CuevasLab, you will be sent a link to BrainHQ to start the online games.
- If you are randomly selected to be part of the intervention, you will also receive a link to view the first class. You will receive links for the next 3 classes each week.
- The week after you view the last class, another meeting will be set to place a second CGM.
- Five to seven weeks later, a second set of surveys and a link to Brain Check (as in #1 and #3 above) will be sent via email.
- Three months later, you will complete the last set of surveys and have one more CGM placed.
If you have questions or want to know more, contact us anytime!!